Posts for tag: Menopause Counseling
How your gynecologist in Brownsville, Texas can help with menopause symptoms.
Menopause is an important time in a woman’s life. It can also be a very difficult time, filled with uncomfortable symptoms. The good news is, your gynecologist can help. Dr. J. Gabriel Guajardo in Brownsville, Texas offers comprehensive gynecological services, including counseling and treatment options for menopause.
Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when she can no longer have a child. The signs and symptoms of menopause can range from barely noticeable to nearly debilitating. Hormone levels decline, producing undesirable symptoms, including:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Skin and vaginal dryness
- Thinning hair and skin
- Loss of breast fullness
- Mood swings and problems sleeping
- Weight gain due to metabolism slowing
Your gynecologist can help you cope with the signs and symptoms of menopause, so you stay healthy and active. Diet and lifestyle counseling can help you feel better. Your gynecologist may recommend:
- Increasing exercise to help you maintain a healthy weight
- Practicing meditation and relaxation techniques to help with sleep difficulties
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods to help with hot flashes
- Increasing fluids to stay hydrated
- Applying moisturizers and lubricants to keep your skin soft
There are several effective treatments to get relief from menopause symptoms. Your gynecologist may recommend:
- Antidepressants to regulate your mood and help avoid mood swings
- Medications to keep your bones strong and help prevent osteoporosis
- Estrogen cream to reduce skin and vaginal dryness
- Hormone therapy to reduce night sweats and hot flashes
Hormone therapy has made great advances in the last few years. Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy has become a popular way of regulating hormone levels. Bio-identical hormone replacement offers many benefits, including:
- An identical structure to human hormones
- Supplying a steady stream of hormone levels
- A lasting effect, from three to five months
- A high level of safety and individual dosing
- Fewer side effects of hormone replacement
You don’t have to suffer from the effects of menopause. Counseling and treatment can help. To find out more about menopause symptoms and treatment, call Dr. J. Gabriel Guajardo in Brownsville, Texas at (956) 350-4821 today!
Why Seek Menopause Counseling?
- Vaginal dryness
- Sleep disturbances
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Weakening bones (a sign of osteoporosis)
- Memory and concentration issues
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings
Lifestyle changes: One way that women can improve their symptoms is by changing their lifestyle around to ensure that they are practicing good self-care. This includes everything from getting regular exercise to stress management and deep breathing to healthy eating and meditation.
Counseling or therapy: We understand that for many women, menopause brings a lot of changes, some of which are emotional. If you are feeling anxious, depressed, or irritable you may find therapy to be particularly helpful for talking through your feelings and learning new and more effective strategies to help you cope with these stressors.
Hormone therapy: As women transition into menopause, certain hormones are not being produced by the body. These hormone fluctuations are why women deal with everything from vaginal dryness to hot flashes. Based on the symptoms you are experiencing your OBGYN can determine the best type of hormone therapy for you. This may come in the form of a cream, patch, pill, or injection. You must talk to your doctor about the pros and cons associated with hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
Osteoporosis treatment: Many women going through menopause also develop osteoporosis, a weakening of the bones. This can increase a woman’s risk for fractures or serious bone injuries. This is why menopausal women should have a bone density scan done. By catching osteoporosis early, we can provide you with the proper treatment as well as exercises and diet to slow the progression of the disease.
Don’t let hot flashes, mood swings, and weight gain dictate your life or your happiness. Talk with your OBGYN today to find ways to help alleviate your menopause symptoms.