Posts for: October, 2018
Dyspareunia is the technical term for pain during intercourse. It's not uncommon for women to experience painful sexual intercourse at some point in their lives. It may be a sign of a gynecologic problem, a problem with sexual response, or simply a lack of arousal. If you are experiencing pain during sex, work with your OB/GYN to determine the root cause and devise a treatment plan. Read on to learn about treatment options for painful sex.
Painful sex can be treated with lifestyle modifications. There are a few ways to try to alleviate pain during sexual intercourse such as trying a slower pace or using more lubricant. Using lubricants can help make the sex more comfortable; different brands can be tried until you find one that is well suited to your needs, and remember communication is important! Talk to each other about what feels good and what doesn't. If your partner is going too fast, then tell them so.
Treatment options vary depending on the cause of the dyspareunia. Changing medications known to cause lubrication problems might also relieve your pain. For some women, pain during sex is caused by a lack of lubrication resulting from low levels of estrogen. This can be treated with topical estrogen applied to the vagina. Another medication to relieve dyspareunia is prasterone, which is a capsule you place inside the vagina every day.
If you’re looking for a non-invasive way to address painful sex brought on by low estrogen levels, MonaLisa Touch laser therapy is a highly effective long-term solution. Laser therapy eliminates vaginal dryness and helps prevent further complications, including vaginal atrophy. In just three treatment sessions, MonaLisa Touch revitalizes the vaginal mucosa and activates the production of new collagen to help restore normal functional and pain-free sexual intimacy.
Painful sex can lead to relationship problems. It may be worthwhile to speak to a counselor if this is the case. If trauma, sexual abuse, or other emotional issues are the root cause of the dyspareunia, counseling could very well help. Counseling can also help you cope with the emotional consequences of painful intercourse. Couples may attend counseling together if painful sex is leading to communication or intimacy issues.
Painful sex can be treated with desensitization therapy. Pelvic floor exercises and vaginal relaxation exercises may be used in this treatment method as they will strengthen your pelvic muscles and ease your pain during intercourse. Strong pelvic floor muscles can go a long way toward warding off urinary incontinence.
You don’t have to live with sexual pain. Find an OB/GYN in your area and schedule a consultation today. Get your life back on track by receiving the best dyspareunia treatment available. You deserve to live your best life!
Visiting a gynecologist such as Dr. J. Gabriel Guajardo in Brownsville, TX, on a regular basis can be lifesaving. Below is an overview of why these checkups are so important.
An annual examination is an essential part of a woman's routine care. This checkup will include:
- Early detection, screening, and treatment of various health issues, such as STD's
- HPV screenings
- Bone density scans
- Blood tests
- Pap smears
Evaluation of Uterine Fibroids
Women develop fibroids or myomas in the wall of their uterus. These benign tumors develop over time and the majority of women usually exhibit no symptoms. During an annual examination, a doctor can outline the best strategy to deal with these issues. Some solutions include:
- Laparoscopic myomectomy
- Robotic myomectomy
- Hysteroscopic resection (aka hysterectomy)
Symptoms of fibroids include:
- Heavy bleeding
- Painful menstrual periods
- Difficulty with intercourse
- Pelvic pain
- Pregnancy loss, but this is rare
Understanding the variety of contraceptive methods available helps women make better decisions for their health. Your Brownsville gynecologists can help you by:
- Providing up to date information on reversible and permanent contraception.
- Telling you about different hormonal methods such as birth control pills, patches, rings, and intrauterine devices.
- Discussing tubal ligation and tubal occlusion with women who do not want any (or any more) children.
Your Doctor Also Provides These Additional Services:
1. Ambulatory Services:
- Infertility Evaluation & Management
- Urinary Incontinence
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Perimenopausal Transition
- Endometrial ablation
- Sling Placement
- D & C
- Ovarian Cystectomy
- Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery
3. In-Office Procedures:
- Intrauterine Device Placement
- Endometrial ablation
- Nexplanon Insertion and Removal
- Artificial Insemination
- Routine laboratory testing
- Traditional ultrasound services
- Extensive genetic counseling
- Amniocentesis testing
- Management of high-risk pregnancies, including Cervical Insufficiency, Placental Problems, Multiple Gestational Pregnancies, Prior Preterm Delivery, Recurrent Miscarriages, Advanced Maternal Age, Pre-existing Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes and High Blood Pressure (Chronic Hypertension or Preeclampsia)
For more information on gynecological care, contact Dr. J. Gabriel Guajardo's Brownsville office by calling (956) 404-0598 today!