For many females, making an appointment with a gynecologist can be intimidating, and some avoid visiting one altogether. The truth is, visiting a gynecologist is important for all females. J. Gabriel Guajardo, M.D., which is located in Brownsville, TX, is an obstetric and gynecology practice that offers the full range of women's health services. Here are five reasons why you should visit your gynecologist.
1. Pap Smears- A Pap smear is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. A Pap test samples cervical cells to check for abnormalities. Cervical cancer can be prevented with regular pap tests and follow-up. To stay clear of cervical cancer, a pap test is necessary every three years.
2. Pelvic Exams- According to ACOG, women ages 21 years and older should get a yearly pelvic exam. The exam is a thorough check of a woman's pelvic organs. It may not be your favorite appointment, but a pelvic exam is indispensable to your overall health.
3. Breast Exams- A breast exam is a physical examination of the breasts done by a doctor. Breast exams are used to check women for breast cancer. Over 30 percent of women aren't getting breast exams when they should be. Breast examinations are commonly recommended for females over 40. However, if a history of breast cancer is present in your family, then earlier breast examinations are needed.
4. Irregular Menstruation- Have your periods stopped or become irregular? If you have a concern about your menstrual cycle, it is important to make an appointment with your Brownsville, TX gynecologist right away. If you ignore the problem, it could cause reproductive problems later on.
5. Birth Control- Birth control allows you to prevent pregnancy. If you are sexually active and are not ready to conceive, you should visit a gynecologist for birth control. Many females don't know that birth control can also be used to treat a variety of female problems.
When was your last visit to the gynecologist? Don't take risks with your health. Yearly visits to the gynecologist are a great start to taking control of your health.